"I love perfect service. I make sure I satisfy my customers. That’s what I crave for”, Nze Uzochukwu Elui, Old English Group Founder/CEO

Nze Uzochukwu Elui, Founder/CEO, Old English Group

In this interview with Mr. Renn Offor, Managing Editor of My Experience Africa, Nze Uzochukwu Elui, Founder and CEO of Old English Group unveils his passion for creating values for customers as his greatest asset and drive in his business interests. Old English Bar & Grills Owerri was winner of the Best Outdoor Experience Center in Nigeria Award 2023 at the Hotel Managers Conference & Awards Owerri 2023. From a middle-class Nigerian home, the graduate of Psychology from Imo State University by training, turned Chef by passion and hospitality entrepreneur through skills, within just six years of the existence of Old English Group, has transformed the business from a small outlet into four flourishing facilities, namely: Old English Bar & Grills Owerri, Tiger Bar by Old English Enugu, Old English Torf Apartment Owerri and Old English Buffalo Buffet Restaurant Owerri. There are two others in view around December and early 2024. Old English Bar & Grills Owerri has transformed into a mega outdoor relaxation center that hosts constant shows, creating varieties for engagements aimed at delivering constant values for guests.


Upcoming event at Old English Bar & Grills Owerri

‘Daddy’ is what you will hear his staff calling him with infectious ease though he’s a young man! That name speaks volumes about values and grooming he instills in his staff as he runs an impressive staff welfare packages, one of which he recently presented plots of lands as appreciation for long serving staff of the Old English Group.

Enjoy reading.


Good day Sir. Please kindly tell us about yourself. How did you sojourn into what you are doing now?

My name is Nze Uzochukwu Elui and I’m from Oba in Idemili South LGA of Anambra State. I’m the first in a family of five boys, no girls. And I’m a graduate of Psychology from Imo State University Owerri, Imo State. I’m married with three children.

I observed, before this interview, that you’re actually a Chef. Please throw light on how that journey started.

It was born out of passion anyway! I came from a family of five boys. No sister. So, as the first child, I had to make food for my younger ones. My late mom was a banker and my late father was a businessman. So as early as 7.30am, two of then were out of the house. So I had to return from school and prepare food for my other brothers. From there I developed cooking skills and I nurtured it even when I lived in Southeast Asia, in China. I still cook up to this moment. It is an art that I enjoy.

Nze Uzochukwu Elui


Your wife enjoys it whenever you decide to cook?

Cooking is not part of my wife’s job! Yes, she does when I do it! (giggles)

What is your experience about the industry so far?

Firstly, the industry is sick! The hospitality industry in Nigeria is sick, such that we don’t have standards. We don’t have quality, we don’t have control. And we suffer from multiple taxation from the government. That’s one of the major challenges we encounter. Epileptic power supply. We pay through our noses to get the facilities running. Imagine where I have to use diesel of N3 million a month to run here (Old English Bar & Grills)! It’s a huge challenge.

Appreciation for dedication to service, Mr. Uzochukwu Elui awards plots of land for long service and excellence to staff

I believe customers are not getting the best of services. That’s why I said the industry is sick. I believe we should up our game in service delivery. It’s a problem that needs to be solved. We need to deliver satisfactory services to our clients and our guests. Not a one off service. We do it daily till it becomes a culture to deliver satisfactory services to our clients and our guests.

Inside Old English Buffalo Buffet Restaurant

When you’re going into a facility that’s not your own, you anticipate to have an experience. When you get anything short of that, you feel bad! I love perfect service. That’s what I crave for whenever I visit any establishment that is not my own! How I’m being welcomed, how I’m being treated. The arrival and the departure, the things I experienced, so when I’m going, I’m happy. 

Old English Buffalo Buffet Restaurant Owerri

What stands out Old English Group from others?

The service. The product. The originality of my products. I create my products. As a matter of facts, I’m the vision bearer of my products. I create my meals. I make sure I satisfy my customers. My own must be different because my own work rate is different from others. 

Buffalo Buffet Restaurant (inside)

My own kind of innovation is different from others. I’ve been widely traveled to so many places. What I’m looking for is good food, good meals, good skills to satisfy my customers.

…do you have any signature dishes?

So many of them (Giggles!) As a matter of fact, I’m the first restaurant in Nigeria to prepare crocodile as a delicacy! It’s out of creativity, “how will I wow my customers?” “What are  they craving for?” Life is an adventure, so I created that. I am a google recognized crocodile eater! Like my ‘Obidient’ brother would say, “Go and verify”! Laughs! 

The cocktails, I was speaking with your mixologists?

The cocktails are made from local, organic materials, natural, home grown materials. It’s another kind of experience in cocktails making. It’s because we want to satisfy our customers, so we’re going the extra mile to create new products and services for them…

…I saw photos and videos of your mixed grill ...

Yes. That’s our luxury product! By special order and it contains over five animals. It’s a wonderful product.


How profitable is this business considering the huge cost of running it? To spend N3 million on diesel in one month!

We’re in business to make profit and to serve people! The business is profitable but you need to create your own products to sustain your customers!

You must create a unique product for your brand! In that way, you’ll remain in the business for so long! 

As an entrepreneur in the business, what is the biggest challenge you go through?

Manpower! Yes, we lack the right personnel. People don’t see this job as a career job! They see it as ad hoc job. People don’t want to build a career in hospitality because they see it as the least paying job! I said the industry us sick all round. I can go on and on…

In terms of manpower, it seems you go all out to get the best when you see it…!

Actually, this is about team business! You need other players even if you’re the coach! You need a captain, goal keeper, the Physiotherapists, Guidance and Counselling etc. That is vital structure for the business.

So far, what has been your most memorable moments in this business so far?

Our awards are uncountable! I’ve lost count! I’m sure we’ve won over 250 awards in the last 6 years! It is not about people giving you awards or recognizing you. It is about what you have done! Have far you’ve come and how far you’re willing to go!

Also, during the Covid-19 pandemic, it was a very memorable moment for me. During the Covid-19, we were among the very few food chains that were open… We were catering for people! We were doing deliveries to homes! Covid-19 was about my best time in the business! That period made more people get to know about Old English… I was there for the people. 

What are your motivations in this line of business?

I still believe that a lot of people still have hunger for values! So, when I create values, I make more money. So, the sustenance of the business is towards creating values and in return, you will be paid.  People want to he served and I’m ready to serve them! So, it is my job to care for them. (Laughs).

So, what future do you see in this business?

 First, it must be a national brand! And it must have some international affiliations. There are people I look up to in creating businesses. I want to create like them. I have brand in Enugu, that’s my business with Nigerian Breweries. They’re my first multinational partner. I’m also a distributor with Nigerian Breweries in Enugu. We’re extending to Abuja, to Lagos, inside Lekki. And we’re extending more into Enugu again.

What are the other things you hope to do in the future?

Apart from Old English Bar & Grills which you already know, we have opened Old English Torf Apartments too. So, we will run a fast food chain as most recently we opened our Old English Buffalo Buffet Restaurant, among many other things still coming up.

How did you come about the name, ‘Old English’?

Yes! The brand name was given by one of my old friends, back in the University in 2001! That was when Old English was conceived. I first used it for clothing, then, food and beverage business, hospitality. The name is captivating anyway! 

One Anniversary of Old English Torf Apartments, Owerrri

You need a front to do your business. You need visibility. You need acceptance. If I had put it ‘Modern English’, it won’t sound well. But ‘Old English’ takes you back nostalgia, ‘Oh wow! Let me go and check'! It is part of our sustenance in the business! We do outside catering for events and seminars. We make their meals.

You seem to have a passion for training and empowering your staff.

I train my staff as my children! Simple. The way I want my kids to behave, that’s how I guide my staff! I need to pass the proper knowledge to them. The proper teaching. That’s my job just as their father. I’m not just training them to earn salaries, I’m training them to become better individuals. They call me Daddy. Everybody.

The genuine excitement I saw in your staff when they were celebrating your birthday in April was so contagious. What did you do to your staff to elicit that kind of excitement?

They’re my team members! We run a family business. Before you become a family member, you live by the family rules! Don’t steal. Don’t disrespect our customers. Don’t come to work late. Obey our rules and regulations. Do the right things. We have over 220 staff all over our businesses. You have to be teachable! We teach animals and they learn! Take animals from the wild and we teach and domesticate them. So, were talking of human beings. Why won’t you learn?!

You have been to China and so many countries, so why do you travel?

I’ve been to China, Hong Kong, I’ve been to many countries. I travel to do business and to learn. 

You’ve excelled in what you do so far ...

I’m just starting!

Please, tell us about your role models ...

I look up to people like the owner of Everyday Supermarkets, that’s Everyday Group of Company Limited, Dr. Charles Dimnwaobi. I don’t know him personally but I’ve been studying his business. His management capacity of managing up to 15 outlets at a time and he's not there. He’s not in any of them. He manages his businesses remotely. And that’s the kind of thing I want to do. I must not be here for this business to function. I mustn’t! My workers need to take the business from me, run the business on my behalf and I will settle them. They will declare profits. I shouldn’t be here. I should be thinking of some other things. I’ve marked my business. I already know what I should make every month and I need bigger businesses. 


Old English Bar & Grills Award of Best Outdoor Experience Center in Nigeria 


I want to create more jobs. I feel a sense of satisfaction when I create jobs. I’ve made that fathers figure very noticeable and it gives me satisfaction. someone’s daily bread comes from me! Always I’m in that person's thoughts. If I pay him I’m in his thoughts. If I owe him, I’m in his thoughts. If I give him a gift, I’m in his thoughts! So, what are you living for?!

What are other things that occupy your time outside your work?

I play table tennis. I play table tennis two hours everyday! I read. I surf information on the internet.

What are some of your principles?

Uprightness! Character. Transparency. Originality. Be yourself.

You’re a young man. What has life taught you?

Life has taught me to remain humble, respectful, be hard working and always maintain a small circle. It would save your life so much. Maintain small circle. It has been my strength. I spend my time with very few people. 

If you were to travel within Africa, where would your dream destination be?

West Africa! I've done a tour of West African States. I had to go and taste their street foods. From Benin to Togo, to Ghana to Ivory Coast by road. I want to bring a fusion of West African foods into Nigeria. I believe our people need such kind of experience. We want to get their own way of making Jollof rice. Jollof rice is not yet a globally accepted food. It should be on a continental menu. Jollof rice is such a wonderful meal that has not been explored and enjoyed by many. It is still only dominant in West Africa. It is more delicious than any other rice you can think of globally. The various Jollof rice varieties from different African countries can be fused together. If a food can be served in more than one country at a time, it should go global.

What inspired you to setting up Old English Torf Apartments?

Accommodation is part of the spread of Old English. We wanted to give people all-round experience. We with develop more hospitality facilities. We will develop more hospitality boutiques that are very nice, boutique outlets. We don’t want anything big! Small hotels so we can be able to position them in many cities of the country! We don’t want big hotel, 80, 100 rooms etc. No! 20 rooms. 25 rooms are ok with class! With full buffet restaurants! Fulltime buffet restaurants! The services will be at another level.

Well done Sir.

Thank you.

Comments

  1. This is a great inspiring read. Awesome. Thanks My Experience Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. This is a good article!
      Mr. Elui really deserve to be commended for caring for his workers so.

      Delete

Post a Comment